Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie

I have been meaning to make chicken pot pies for quite some time. I love pot pies, but store-bought/frozen ones are LOADED with sodium. I think it was the September issue of Cooking Light that had it on the front, it inspired me. But I always forget to look at my magazines when meal planning. Well my Tyler Florence Real Kitchen cookbook also had a pot pie recipe in it. Since I had the book out for the dim sum, I actually remembered to buy the stuff for it!

Tyler's recipe is pretty detailed and calls for roasting a whole chicken, making your own chicken stock, cooking for 12 people etc... Well, sometimes I like to simplify things. So here is my recipe for Chicken Pot Pies
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
Frozen mixed veggies
Sliced mushrooms
3 cups of chicken broth
1/4 cup of butter
2/3 cup of flour
S&P
Other seasonings: Thyme & Rosemary, fresh or dried
1 sheet Puff Pastry

Spray skillet with Misto Olive Oil. Add chicken & cook until no longer pink.
Remove chicken, add mushrooms until slightly softened.
Cook vegetables ( I use the steamfresh frozen veggies).
In a pot, melt the butter. Whisk in flour to form the "roux". Gradually add chicken broth. Bring to simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens. I also added the S&P & spices at this time.
(I used 4 cups of chicken broth & it was kind of runny, so I ended up making more roux in a separate pan & adding it to my mixture) Tyler says it should look like cream of chicken soup.
Mix everything together, minus the puff pastry.
Lay out the puff pastry & place your ramekins on top, cut out the "top". With my recipe I was able to make 2 medium sized ramekins & 3 small ramekins.
Spray the inside of the ramekins & place on a baking sheet.
Fill with the mixture & top with the puff pastry.
Brush the pastry with egg whites & sprinkle with cheese. I had Parmesan on hand so I used that.
Bake for about 20 mins on 350F or until the pastry is browned. Let cool, these suckers are HOT!


These were awesome!! I love that you can really do whatever you'd like with this recipe. Make it vegetarian by using veggie stock & loads of vegetables. Make a turkey pot pie & add sweet potatoes or red potatoes. Or beef pot pie with just carrots & peas. I hadn't intended for there to be leftovers (my fridge is full) But I was so thankful that I had 3 small containers left because it was very good!

1 comment:

~Amber~ said...

Wow, these look amazing!! I have never had chicken pot pie before but this looks like something I would like. Thanks for sharing.