Monday, October 15, 2007

Crab Ravioli & Creamy Tomato Sauce

Ever since my wonton experience with Pot Stickers, I have been wonting (ha-ha) to use them again.
I found this recipe on FoodNetwork & though, this should be good. However, it wasn't really good. It wasn't bad, it was just bland & really, wonton wrappers are not good for ravioli. I think maybe we would have liked this better if I had made my own ravioli.

Crab Ravioli
1 (6-ounce) can lump crabmeat (recommended: Bumble Bee)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (12-ounce) package wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten
Mix crabmeat, ricotta cheese & Italian Seasoning together.
Lay out wonton wrappers.
Brush each wrapper with egg wash & fill with crab mixture.
Fold over to make a triangle & seal well.
In a large pot bring water to a boil. Add ravioli, make sure they do not touch.
They are done when the float to the top.

Creamy Tomato Sauce
I found this on FoodNetwork as well. Its a Giada recipe. I already have a few containers of homemade marinara so I used that in place of store bought marinara.


1 cup purchased marinara sauce
1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper



Bring the marinara sauce to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking often. Whisk in the ricotta and enough reserved cooking water to thin the sauce to desired consistency. For a thicker sauce, use less pasta water; for a thinner sauce, add more water. Return the sauce to a simmer. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

I can't entirely place what was "wrong" with this dish. I was expecting more flavor from the ravioli, so I don't know if my sauce overpowered it or what. I do think I can build on this recipe though, use the same filling, more spices, homemade ravioli & probably use a Vodka Sauce as opposed to a creamy tomato sauce.

No comments: