Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Italian Wedding Soup

Italian Wedding Soup

One Saturday morning, the hubs & I had the TV on while we ate breakfast. I think the show was “A Lyon in The Kitchen” but who knows, it was over a month ago. Anywho, he was making Italian Wedding Soup. The hubs was enthralled by this & said “oh you have to make this!” So I put it on the “must make Fall List”. Meatballs in a soup make him pretty excited. I like all the veggies so it’s a win/win for our household.

I found a few recipes, one from Food Network & another from Ellysaysopa, I combined them both to make my own.


Meatballs
¾- 1lb ground beef or ground turkey
about 1 cup of bread crumbs
¼ cup of Asiago Cheese
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a bowl combine bread crumbs with 2 Tbsp of water to “hydrate” the breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients & mix with your hands.
Form into meatballs & place on a sprayed baking sheet.
Bake in oven for about 20 minutes

Soup
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 carrot, sliced & diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 head escarole, chopped
8 cups chicken broth
6 roma tomatoes, diced
Salt & Pepper
Small sized noodles, cooked

Heat the olive oil in a stock pot. Add onions, celery & carrot. Cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, thyme & red pepper. Cook for an additional 3 -5 minutes.
Stir in the escarole and cook for about 2 minutes or until the escarole is wilted.
Add chicken broth & tomatoes. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add meatballs & noodles to the pot.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
Serve in soup bowls & sprinkle with cheese.

The meatballs were delicious! I will be making them again for spaghetti & meatballs. I really enjoyed the soup. The hubs didn’t like the escarole, but he did like everything else.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

OMG, I love Italian Wedding Soup. The meatballs are sooo good! Now I will have to make this.