Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pork Chops with Golden Apple Sauce



I have had this recipe forever and finally found time to make it! When I was little, we always had applesauce with our pork. The Hubs said he had never heard of this. So I think my mom just put applesauce on the pork so that we would eat it.
This is a more grown-up/gourmet take on that.

Pork Chops with Golden Apple Sauce

4 golden delicious apples* I only used 2 apples & had at least 4 cups worth of sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
2 ounces raisins*I probably added 1 full cup
1-inch piece of ginger root
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cups cider or apple juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp olive oil
4 pork chops
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp butter

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium sized pot & bring to boil, reduce to low heat & let simmer so the sauce thickens.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat-add oil. Season one side of the pork chops with S&P. Place seasoned side down in the pan. While that side is browning, season the other side. Flip pork chop over so the other side browns. After about 4 mins, reduce heat & cook until juices run clear or no pink shows.
Remove pork chops from pan to let rest. Increase temperature to medium high. Add apple juice/cider & butter to the pan & deglaze. Pour sauce over the chops. Remove ginger from the sauce & top chops with the sauce.

I served this with Parmesan couscous & broccoli. I really enjoyed this meal. It was all around pretty healthy & had all the elements I like in a meal (starch, veggie, protein)