Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dim Sum Part Two

Next up was the Pork Dumpling Soup with Chinese Greens

Pork Filling
3/4 pund ground pork
1/4 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (again, couldnt find, so I used portobello)
1/2 med turnip (I was scared & omitted this. I dont think I like turnips)
1 green onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 egg white
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sherry
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper

Broth
3 qts Chicken Stock (I used 1 1/2 quarts of low sodium chicken broth)
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce (I meant to use less but forgot)
2 inch piece of ginger, cut in half (I just grated a 1 inch piece)
4 garlic cloves, smashed (I used 2)
2 green onions
1 dried red chile (I didnt have this so I omitted it)

Dumplings
Wonton Wrappers
1 egg white
4 head bok choy (I used 2 heads)
1/4 lb shiitake mushrooms (I used portobello)

Pulse the filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
In a large pot, simmer all broth ingredients together for 10 mins. Turn to low & cover.
Lay wonton wrappers on the counter. Brush with egg whit & drop 2 tsp of prok filling in the center. Fold in half to form a triangle. Press the sides together to get rid of air bubbles, then seal tightly. You can continue to fold this into more of a "Pope's Hat" if you desire, I was hungry.

Once all wrappers are full, strain the soup broth to remove the solids. Bring the soup to a simmer over meidum high heat. Add dumplings and boil for 12 minutes. Add the bok choy & mushrooms, continue to simmer for 3 minutes.

My Notes: This makes like 50 dumplings, no lie. For 2 people, I dont think so. So, with the extra filling, I made pot stickers.

Along with the above, I had some dipping sauces for the pot stickers & the buddha delights.
Sorry no pictures of these but here is what I used:
Hot N Sweet
1/8 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/8 cup of rice vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tsp Sriracha Sauce

Chinese Mustard Sauce
1/8 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/8 cup of rice vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce

Basic Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/8 cup of rice vinegar
Fresh Squeezed lemon juice
Sriracha Sauce to taste

So like I said, and as you can see, this is quite time consuming, but not hard. I like the Buddha Delights a lot and think they would make a great appetizer for cocktail party, especially great for vegetarians.

No comments: