Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dim Sum Any One?

Awhile back I made pot stickers one night. Pot stickers happens to be one of my husband's favorite foods, so being able to make them at home (and taste good) was quite an accomplishment for me. As many of you fellow foodies know, wonton wrappers come in quite a large package. Well the best part is you can freeze them so they dont go bad!!
While I was menu planning last week, I was looking through my new fave cookbook, Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen, he has a whole section on Dim Sum. I read through it and thought, well this doesn't seem too hard. Time consuming, yes, but not difficult. Originally, the Hubs & I had planned to go to a wine tasting on Saturday, but we were so exhausted from staining our fence & other household chores, we decided to stay home.
So what better to do with a Saturday night & a little extra time? Try out the dim sum.

From the cookbook, I chose the "Buddha's Delight" & the "Pork Dumpling Soup with Chinese Greens". I'll denote my changes in green.

Buddha's Delight


Vegetable Filling
Sesame Oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1" piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 leek, well washed & chopped
1 head baby bok chok, chopped (I used bok choy)
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms (I couldnt find these at the store, so I used portobello)
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 bunch of cilantro
S&P
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp cornstarch

For the dumplings
Wonton Wrappers
1 egg white beaten
Canola Oil, for brushing steamer (used olive oil mist spray)
Savoy Cabbge for lining the steamer (opps I forgot this)

Heat a large skillet with sesame oil. Add garlic & ginger to pan and stir for 1 minute. Add leek, bok choy, mushrooms, carrot & cilantro. Seasonw ith S&P. Cook for about 5 mins or until the veggies soften. (took at least 10 mins for me)Remove from heat & cool to room temperature. Scrape the veggie mixture into a food processor, add the egg whites & the conrstarch. Pulse until the filling it it holds together.
(Mine never did, I ended up using my seieve strainer to get rid of the extra liquid. I would use 1 egg white next time)

Lay wonton wrappers on the counter. Brush with egg white. Drop 1 Tbsp of filling into center. Fold wrapper over & seal. Repeat with wonton wrappers until you run out of filling.

Tyler recommends you use a bamboo steamer. I do not have a bamboo steamer so I used my metal one. Spray the steamer with olive oil so the dumplings don't stick. Here you should line the steamer with the cabbage. (I didnt do this) Place dumplings in steamer, so they do not touch (I fit about 7) Bring about 1-2 inches of water to a boil in your pot. Place steamer on top & cover. Steam for about 10-12 minutes.
Repeat with remainder of the dumplings.
Next time notes: line the steamer with the cabbage. My dumplings stuck regardless of what I did.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is so awesome. I'll have to try a couple of these recipes out!