Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chicken Tortilla Soup


The weekends for me mean making soup or stew and baking. I like making a large crockpot full of soup so we have some for the week.
Well, with the leftover beer can chicken, what better to make than chicken tortilla soup. I searched around for some recipes but pretty much came up with my own.
Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 cans of Rotel
2 large tomatoes, diced
about 1 cup tomato juice
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups of corn
about 2 cups of chicken
Fresh cilantro
Make sure the chicken is in bite size pieces.
Add everything to the crockpot, put on low for about 8 hours.
To serve, top with avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.

I served this with some homemade turkey and provolone paninis. I learned the trick to a good grilled sandwich is to use mayo on the outside. It makes the bread nice & crispy.

This was a great dinner for our first bout of cold weather.

No comments: