Friday, April 18, 2008

Healthy Stuffed Shells


This recipe was loosely based off the Garlic Chicken Stuffed Shells. I remember we really enjoyed them, but I was wanting them to be a bit more healthy. Plus cottage cheese was on sale and since I am being frugal with the evil Grocery Store, it was a no brainer.

Hum as I am reviewing my pictures I sure did get some good ones!!!


LowFat Stuffed Shells
1lb chicken, sliced thinly
about 12-15 pasta shells
1 cup cottage cheese (lo fat)
2% shredded mozzarella cheese (One package)
Italian Parsley (fresh or dried)
one egg or a little bit of egg beaters
Pasta sauce about 1 jar

1) Preheat the oven to 375F
2) Start by cooking the pasta shells in the boiling water. You want them to be al dente as they will cook in the oven.
3) Saute chicken & season with S&P. Once its cooked, cut into smaller pieces.
4) In a bowl, mix together cottage cheese, 1/2 of the mozz cheese, a little egg & chicken.
5) Drain pasta shells & run cold water over them.
6) In a pyrex baking dish, spread 1/2 the sauce on the bottom. Next fill the shells & place in the dish. Once all the shells have been filled, top off with the remaining pasta sauce. Then sprinkle with mozz cheese.
7) Cover with foil & cook for about 30 mins. I removed the foil, sprinkled it with some Parmesan cheese, increased the temp to 400F & cooked for an additional 10 mins to get the cheese browned & the the sauce bubbly. Then I sprinkled it with some Italian Parsley for looks.

This was very good! I could tell that it was cottage cheese rather then ricotta, but only by texture, not by taste. I wish they made whole-wheat shells, but this will do for now.

No comments: