Monday, April 21, 2008

Whiskey Chops!

I love mushrooms so whenever I see a picture that has something with sauteed mushrooms in it, you can bet I am going to put it on my "to make" list. So when I saw the One Pan Whiskey Chops screaming at me from my inbox, I glanced at the P.Chop add and to what did I see? You guessed it, pork chops were on sale & so were mushrooms! (It was meant to be!!)
I made this last night. It was the Hubs & my one year wedding anniversary. We spent the day together gardening outside so it was nice to just be able to put something together & let it bake.

One Pan Whiskey Pork Chops
Cooking Light


Ingredients
2/3 cup fat-free sour cream (I used low fat)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops, trimmed (I used boneless sirloin chops)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (I didn't have any onions at home)
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup whiskey (I used Maker's Mark)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 300°.
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.

Sprinkle pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove pork from pan. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Carefully add whiskey to pan; cook for 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir sour cream mixture into pan. Return pork to pan; spoon sauce over pork.

Wrap handle of skillet with foil. Cover and bake at 300° for 1 hour. Serve immediately. (I ended up baking these for about 45 mins at 325F. We were hungry and wanting to eat our wedding cake)

I did have to laugh though when I made the accompanying rice. My friend Betsi asked me on Friday if I had tried this "Nature's Way Parmesan & Romano Rice". Non-chalantly she said, but you would probably make it from scratch. Not so my friend, not so. The rice & I, we haven't had the best experiences. I have tried many a risotto that turns out crunchy, or even mexican rice that also, turns out crunchy. Heck, I cant really even make Minute Rice, it turns out watery. So yes, I turn to the Rice-A-Roni folks to lend a hand. And yes it was delicious, the sauce combined with the rice made a perfect pair!!

No comments: