Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Muffins!

I am so tired of eggs for breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I really love eggs. I just need something else. I like making stradas, quiche, etc... It gives the eggs a little extra something, but to be honest. I only had 4 eggs left and it's pretty hard to bake a quiche out of that small amount.
So onto baked goods. I had some cream cheese in the fridge and I remembered I had bookmarked a Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffin from CL. So I went in search for it.

I realized after reading the recipe, it wasn't all that healthy (not that bad for you in comparison but still not great) and I was missing some things. So I will denote in pink what I did differently.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Filled Muffins
Cooking Light
Ingredients
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese --> I had reg. cream cheese
2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour --> I used 1 1/4 cup all purpose & 1 cup whole wheat stone flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons poppy seeds --> Omitted b/c I didnt have any on hand
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk --> I used 1 Tbsp white vinegar & enough skim milk to make 1 cup. In place of the 1/4 cup I used low-fat sour cream.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
Cooking spray

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine the cream cheese and preserves; stir with a whisk.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg whites, and egg; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, filling one-third full. Top each with about 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture; divide the remaining batter evenly over the cream cheese mixture. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack.

Yield
1 dozen (serving size: 1 muffin)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 182(29% from fat); FAT 5.9g (sat 1.7g,mono 1.6g,poly 2g); PROTEIN 5g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 94mg; SODIUM 231mg; FIBER 0.7g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.4g



They were delicious, but, like anything else I stuff, they kind of exploded. I lost quite a bit of filling in some of them. Oh well. I mean, I cant stuff chicken, or tortillas or bread without the insides oozing out, what would make a muffin any different? The recipe also said these would work well for freezing so maybe if you have some extra time, whip a batch and toss em in the freezer for a rainy & non-eggy day.

No comments: