Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tilapia Round 2


What is it that people say? You are your own worst critic. Its sad that this memory has stuck with me over the past 2 years, but I really do pride myself on my cooking skills and when something doesn't taste good or turn out right, I get pretty upset.
Rewind to the summer of 2006. I had bought some tilapia at the store, it was on sale and I had never made anything with it. I figured-what they hey- lets try it out. I think I did foil packets in my preparation-probably with some spinach. I opened the pouched and took a nice big wiff when the steam came out. Expecting to smell something good, but instead, I about passed out. I don't know what was wrong-it smelled like old smelly fish. I haven't attempted it since.

Well, after 3 weeks of P90X, there is only so much salmon & chicken a person can take. Sam's Club has tilapia individually frozen, so I took some out and decided to have a go at it again. I mixed together some lemon juice & garlic and marinated the fish for about 20 minutes. Next I seasoned them with parsley, salt & pepper.
I decided I would broil them. I could have grilled but at -5 degrees, I didn't really want to go outside.
After spraying the broil pan so they wouldn't stick, I broiled the fish for about 12 minutes.

With the fish, we had beans with almonds and a salad. The salad had apples, cucumbers, mixed greens & feta cheese. I made my own dressing with balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil and a little salad oil, I seasoned it with oregano.


So this tilapia turned out much better. I am going to say that the it was the fish on the failed attempt almost 2 years ago and not the cook!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Do you think 2 years ago the fish reacted with the foil? I don't know why this would happen or if that would be the case, but it's the first thing I thought of.

But it was probably just the fish!