Monday, January 7, 2008

And it begins....

The New Year's Resolution Diet.

You all know what I am talking about. Well, we only made it through one month of P90X back in July & August, so we decided to pick it up again & make through all 3 months. And to be honest, first day back, it wasn't that bad. Ask me tomorrow, I'll have a different answer.
I was really stressed out last time with the diet portion of this program. You eat a ton of food, enough to where the hubs & I could not eat anymore and we would waste. I also, somehow, thought we should have leftovers, so each meal was something different. And when you are cooking for 2 people at a combined 4000 calories a day, oh with 2 snacks. You become to hate cooking. My goal, take it easy! It doesn't need to be that hard.

The hubs & I spent most of Sunday at Sam's Club & the grocery store, stocking up on supplies. Thankfully, the swiss steak was already going, so I had time to make the vegetable soup that we needed for the week. This is so easy & really quite healthy. It felt good to cleanse the body of the all the nasty food we have had lately.

Vegetable Soup
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup sliced onions
1 1/2 cups celery
1 1/2 cups mushrooms
2 cups zucchini
8 oz tomato sauce
1 14 oz can tomatoes
garlic powder
sage
S&P

In a large stockpot, bring broth, carrots, onions & celery to a boil. Simmer until they veggies are soft.
Add the remaining ingredients. For the garlic powder & sage, just put in how much you like.
Let the soup simmer for 30-45 mins. This will make about 10-12 1 cup servings. So perfect for the week.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Considering I decided tonight that I need to be banned from attempting any sort of creamy soups - this one sounds like it could be a winner!! I'll give it a shot!