Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bayou Shrimp Creole

Another simple recipe, perfect for when we are short on time. Yesterday we didn't get our workout in during the day, so we had to do it when we got home. Well that means I don't normally start cooking until 7pm. I needed something fast. We are allowed one serving of carbs per day and we hadn't had any so this looked perfect!

This is from the Del Monte Website. I always stock up on canned tomatoes. The hubs and I love them! (Hence our 8 tomato plants we had in our garden)
Bayou Shrimp Creole
Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and halved lengthwise * I used already peeled & cooked shrimp
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) DEL MONTE® Cajun Recipe Stewed Tomatoes * I substituted regular canned tomatoes and seasoned with a Cajun seasoning I had at home
1/4 cup DEL MONTE Tomato Paste
Directions
In a large saute pan, spray with Misto. Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook until tender. Add tomatoes, cajun seasoning, thyme and tomato paste. Cook for about 15 minutes so the flavors blend.
Meantime, start a pot of boiling water. When boiling add your brown rice. I just use minute rice, I don't have time for anything else.
When the sauce has simmered for about 10 mins, add the shrimp, cook for about 5 more minutes then remove from heat.

To serve: place 1 cup of brown rice on a plate and top with about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of creole. This made enough for the hubs and I to have dinner and lunch.

PS: Come to think of it, I didn't use celery in the chicken tortilla soup, I used it here...

No comments: