Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pecan Crusted Salmon

You know when you eat zero carbs with a meal and you just don't feel like you ate anything? I think society did this to us. I am so used to the "meat, veggie, potato" combo or the "meat, veggie, pasta/rice/etc..." combo that when I don't have any carbs, I sometimes feel like I have eaten nothing. I think its the "crunch" factor. No crunch=not filling. After reading a few recipes, I thought, well we can have nuts on this diet, so maybe I should make some type of pecan crusted something. Well I had pulled some salmon out so by default it became pecan crusted salmon.

Get about 1 cup of pecans and puree in a food processor until they look like bread crumbs. I seasoned them with S&P. Place in a bowl. Next I took my salmon and drenched it in egg whites, then in the pecan puree. Place on a foiled and sprayed cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes. If the salmon isn't done, increase to 415 for about 5 more minutes.

I served these with a California medley of vegetables. I will say, it was quite filling. The extra crunch of the pecans definitely made the meal fuller, more complete.

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks for the tip/recipe. I tried this, except I prepped my salmon with generous amounts of dijon mustard and covered it in brown sugar -- marinated for about 5 hrs. Just prior to baking, I topped it with the pecans and it came out perfect. The crust was crunchy, chewy, and sweet.