Monday, January 7, 2008

Swiss Steak Take Two

So a few months back, I decided that for dinner one night I would whip up some swiss steak in the crockpot. The hubs & I buy a half a cow from a butcher each year, so we always have some round steak or something sitting around. Well, I was all proud for prepping the food the night before. I set it the pot in the fridge overnight, pulled it out before work & set the crock pot timer. See we have one of those where you can set it for how ever many hours & then it will kick to warm when its done. Fast forward to a full work day and the hubs & I walk in the house. "Hubs- I don't smell anything, that can't be good." As I walk toward the crockpot, I see the giant "PF" on the microwave
PF=Power Failure=Crockpot turned off.
YUM, swiss steak that has been left on the counter all day.

So last night, after hubs & I had eaten out 4 meals in 3 days, I needed to make something. I had round steak left, so I pulled that out on Saturday. It was defrosted by Sunday and I was able to successfully make swiss steak.

Swiss Steak
1 lb round steak cut into serving size pieces
3 red potatoes, washed & diced
2 cups carrots, cut into 1" pieces
1 onion, quartered and sliced
1 can tomatoes
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
1 can golden mushroom soup

In a saute pan, brown the round steak. Season with S&P.
In the crockpot, place the veggies on the bottom of the crockpot. Place browned round steak on top. Season with Aromat.
Pour liquids over the top. Set crockpot to high for about 6-8 hours. Checking every so often for it to thicken up.

This tastes a lot like stew.

No comments: