Monday, July 30, 2007

Homade Marinara Sauce

So many tomatoes, so little time... Just kidding. I finally had some time on Saturday to make homemade marinara sauce. I have never made this so I researched Cooking Light for some recommendations, at which I was so surprised to see how many recipes called for canned tomatoes. Uh, so, I have about 6 lbs of fresh tomatoes, how many canned is that??
Anyway, I finally hunted a recipe down but totally changed it after I read it, using the thought process behind it though.

Ingredients
about 3 lbs tomatoes, any kind: roma, beefsteak, whatever is in your garden
garlic, minced, however much you want
onion, chopped
Fresh Herbs: Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Basil , Rosemary (again anything in your garden)

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Drop the tomatoes in about 5 at a time, cook until the skin starts to peel away. Take them out & immediately douse with cold water. Repeat until you are through all the tomatoes. Let me cool a bit so you don't burn your fingers. Pull the skin away & chop the tomatoes.

In a large sauce pot, drizzle with olive oil. Heat to medium to medium-high. Add chopped onions & garlic. Cook about 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce & simmer for about 10 mins. Add all the herbs. Simmer until you are ready to eat.

Some side notes: I let it simmer for about 4 hours. I also noticed the sauce was really thin, so I had to resort to some tomato paste to thicken it up.

I served this with some turkey-meat balls.

Turkey Meat Balls
approx. 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey meat
some egg whites
about 1 Tbsp breadcrumbs
S&P
Mix it all together & make some balls. Place on a baking sheet & cook on 375-400 for about 20 mins. I wanted mine to have a nice brown outside, so I did 375 for 15 mins & 400 for another 10.

And... this all is diet friendly! Now if you aren't on a diet, I recommend serving this with some spaghetti & cheesy garlic bread. Yum I can almost taste it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good recipe. Tastes very fresh with just picked tomatoes and basil. thanks for the posting. Ralph