Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I am still alive!

I promise! And I have been cooking. But you know, you go in spurts. I've been cooking, baking, taking pictures, I just ha vent had the motivation to update. In fact, I haven't even caught up on GoogleReader. I am sure I have quite a few posts to catch up on. So needless to say, I apologize for overload of posts the next few days.
Lets start of with last nights dinner. My friend Amanda mentioned last week that she & her husband do a "big salad" night once a week. I thought was a great idea to get us to incorporate more veggies & fruits into our diet. We are bad, I mean really bad, especially with fruit! I can not even tell you the last time I had an apple.
The salad I made last night worked well in our favor. We didn't end up eating until close to 8pm. I love it staying light out as late as it does, but we just lose all concept of time and before you know it, its 8pm!
The salad, Chicken Chipotle Taco Salad, courtesy of Cooking Light.

Ingredients
Dressing:
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Salad:
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained


Preparation
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Tip: Add a spoonful of adobo sauce for a spicier salad. Kidney or pinto beans also taste great in this dish.


Holy Moly this was SPICY! I added some light ranch to the dressing b/c it needed to be cooled down a bit. I seasoned the chicken with a little chili powder & grilled it on the BBQ.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I find that a little tiny bit of that chipotle goes a long way! This salad looks incredible.