Sunday, June 10, 2007

Weekend Guest

This weekend, my husband and I were expecting an out of town visitor. I love guests, means I get to cook more!!! So our friend Stephen, whom we met on our honeymoon, was supposed to come up to KC this weekend to look at a car. (Stephen & Tyler were honeymoon'ing in St. Lucia the same time we were there) Anywho, Thursday night I cleaned up the house, planned some meals for when he was here, etc.. Well Friday he called my husband & said he couldn't make it. The car dealership sold the car he was going to buy :-(. So in honor of you Stephen, here are some things you missed out on:

BBC's
Bananas Bailey's & Coconut Cream
A staple while visiting St. Lucia. It was so hot down there you had to drink a frozen concoction to stay cool.
1 banana
4 2 oz jiggers of Bailey's Irish Creme
1/4 can of Coconut Creme (can be found with alcohol mixers)
Blend



This will make about 4 drinks. My husband decided that if i was going to post this he needed to make them look pretty.
AND I had to promise to give him the credit. I did not make these, Mike did.
So Cheers to you Stephen and Tyler!

Next Up: Sausage & Egg Strada
I love eggs. It has to be one of my favorite food items. My husband and I got into the habit of making a big breakfast one day out of the weekend. I was just doing omelettes, scrambled eggs, etc... But we like warm breakfast during the week & there isn't much out there that you can make in the morning that is either healthy or doesn't take 45 mins to make. So I started making breakfast casseroles on the weekend, then we have leftovers during the week. But with Stephen visiting I decided that I was going to try a strada recipe from my aunt. It makes quite a bit so I will be having a lot of leftovers.

1 lb bulk sausage (it can be hot or spicy if you'd like) cooked & crumbled
8-10 slices of bread, torn into bit size pieces
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I use a little more)
6 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground mustard
2 cups milk

Brown the sausage & drain. In a greased 13x9 dish, layer 1/2 the bread crumbs, 1/2 the sausage & 1/2 the cheese.
Repeat.
Whisk the eggs, salt, mustard & milk.
Pour over the bread, sausage & cheese mixture.
Cover & refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

**This is a great staple recipe b/c you can mix it up however you'd like. Instead of cheddar use swiss or pepperjack, use veggies as opposed to sausage, use rye bread as opposed to white bread. **


No comments: