Monday, July 23, 2007

Tomatillo Shrimp Fajitas

We are finishing up week 2 on the diet plan & creativity is getting tough. I know I canhave fajitas, but I didn't want just plain ole fajitas. I found this recipe on Cooking Light & was intrigued by the tomatillo salsa. This was super fast to throw together too.

Tomatillo Shrimp Fajitas
Ingredients
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic**
1 small red onion, vertically sliced**
1/2 cup bottled green salsa
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add bell pepper, garlic, and onion; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in salsa, coriander, salt, and shrimp; sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Arrange about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle each tortilla with 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro.
**Notes** I used white corn tortillas b/c thats what I had in the house. I used a regular onion, i was out of red onions & I added some mushrooms because my husband & I love them. I also minced my own garlic.

These were pretty tasty, for diet food, I think I would have liked a little more spice to them, maybe add some cayenne pepper.

No comments: