Thursday, July 19, 2007

Homemade Dressings

One of the things I like about p90X is that I am forced to make things I would normally short cut. I have never made my own salad dressings. Since this diet is pretty strict, they give you recipes on what you can have. I didn't take pictures, b/c really, salad dressings are not pretty unless they are on a pretty salad. But here are the recipes & some suggested pairings.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp shallots, chopped
4 tsp fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
black pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Store covered in the fridge. Makes approximately 16 2 Tbsp servings. I have used this on a steak & spinach salad. It really brings out the flavor of the steak. My salad had artichoke hearts as well & they just soaked up the vinaigrette.

Cumin Vinaigrette
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 Tbsp orange juice
1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp EVOO

Whisk together until emulsified. Makes approximately 4 Tbsp.
I used this on a island pork tenderloin by itself, as well as with the pork tenderloin in a salad. Sweet & spicy all at the same time.

Pesto Sauce
1 cup pine nuts
4 cups fresh basil
2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1 cup lo-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup white cooking wine
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt

Heat skillet over medium-high heat, toast pine nuts until golden brown. In a food processor, puree basil, nuts & garlic. Add parm cheese, wine, lemon juice & chicken broth until blended. Add salt to taste. Serve with pasta, chicken or seafood.
**Notes** I was expecting more of a pesto from this rather than a pesto sauce so I was a little disappointed at how runny it is. I'd probably reduce the liquids by 1/2.

No comments: