Monday, July 23, 2007

Pan Seared Salmon/Tuna

But the Ahi Tuna was on sale, so it turned out to be pan seared ahi. I pretty much think any recipe that calls for fish of some sort can be used for all fish. This was very good. I like that in this diet, I am forced to try new things. Now I have had ahi before, but I have never cooked it. My new goal is to try to cook all types of fish, so post your fish recipes here! I have shark & ahi out of the way, wonder what will be next!

Ingredients
Cooking spray
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)**
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon thinly sliced shallots
1 1/2 cups presliced mushrooms**
2 cups fresh spinach
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Preparation
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add fish to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fish from pan, and keep warm.
Add oil and shallots to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms in a single layer; cook 2 minutes (do not stir). Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach; cook 30 seconds or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, rind, and juice. Serve over fish.

**NOTES** I used ahi tuna as mentioned above. This should be cooked rare to med-rare, so I think I seared it maybe 3 minutes on each side. I sliced my own mushrooms, let me tell you, it was tough :-)


I served this with some garlic & olive oil couscous.

1 comment:

Julia & Tyler said...

I'm diggin the tower of couscous. I have searched high and low for my favorite flavor of couscous: pine nut, but haven't been able to find it yet. When I find it I'll buy 10 boxes.