Friday, July 20, 2007

Bumpy Chicken

Last week I was catching up on my blog reading, something I hadn't done in awhile & came across http://cookingcutie.blogspot.com/2007/07/bump-bump-bump.html

After a week on our new diet & exercise program, I needed some new ideas for meals for this week. Our diet will get old very quickly if I don't mix it up a bit. Chelle's recipe had the perfect portions of the foods we get to eat so, we tried bumpy chicken on Monday night.

Bumpy Chicken
2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a non-stick frying pan, stir mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium-high heat until mushrooms begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place chicken breasts in a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
4. When the mushroom mixture is done, remove it from the heat. Stir in the mustard, vinegar and mayonnaise.
5. Spread the mushroom mixture over the chicken and continue baking the chicken until chicken is no longer pink in the center of the thickest part. Add salt to taste.

I served this with brown rice cooked in chicken broth, and broccoli that were steamed. Also, I misread the recipe & used 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. It was pretty bland though I must say, if I were to make it again I would season the chicken before I cook it & probably add some fresh herbs to the mushroom mixture. I also took Chelle's advice & didn't chop the mushrooms, I just sliced them, then cut them in half.

No comments: