Monday, July 28, 2008

Garden Update!

Our garden has gone mad! Its is producing veggies like we have a stand at the Farmer's Market.

The tomatoes are finally starting to turn red!I am so excited to start making marinara sauce.

We did make salsa last night, but I will save that for another post. Also, my little kitchen scale in the background, I went to weigh the tomatoes & it said "OVERLOAD". Who knew.
Some of the green onions we used in the salsa:


And this is just the garden harvest from one day. One. day.

I also decided to try to pickle our banana peppers. I cut them up & started the soaking process on July. 15th. We opened up a jar of them on Saturday and everyone loved them. <>


I found the recipe on seasonalchef.com It is called No-Cook Refrigerated Pickled Peppers. I am too scared to can, but I think they jars are pretty so I used them.
You will need:
1 lbs banana peppers
1 tsp minced garlic
1 3/4 cups of water
1 1/8 cup of vinegar
3-4 Tbsp of pickling salt.

Just slice & core the peppers. Then pack into the jars. Add the garlic. Dissolved salt in the water, then add the vinegar. Now pour into the jar.
They will be ready in 7-10 days.

2 comments:

StartingOver@28 said...

Do you mean July 15th? vs. Sept 15th?

What's Cookin Chicago said...

So jealous of your bountiful garden!