Monday, July 21, 2008

More Squash

In my futile attempt to use up the squash I am making casseroles that I can freeze.
I found this recipe at my goto recipe site, myrecipes.com. Let's just say, this made a lot, a whole lot. I froze a small Pyrex dish, as well as 4 single serving sizes & I kept 4 servings in the fridge.


Hearty Tex-Mex Squash-Chicken Casserole

Ingredients
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 medium-size yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons peanut oil
3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted*
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream*
1 (8-ounce) jar picante sauce
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (1.4-ounce) envelope fajita seasoning
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided*


Preparation
Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Sauté squash, bell pepper, and onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, chicken, next 6 ingredients, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x9-inch baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, and bake 5 more minutes.

*Reduced-sodium, reduced-fat cream of celery soup, light sour cream, and reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese may be substituted.

I liked this dish, but I also am a big fan of veggies. I did use light sour cream & reduced fat cream of celery to lighten it up a bit. The hubs, he said it had too many veggies in it. I think it could do without the spinach, but otherwise it was a great dish.

No comments: