Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Garden Dinner

I have a lot to catch up on! Sorry for the influx of posts between the next two days. I didn't realize how far behind I had gotten!

First up, I have gone to just about every recipe/cooking website that I could find to compile my list of recipes that required squash and/or zucchini. I have an entire word document w/links & ideas.

I decided to try this one first, Chicken w/Summer Squash from Better Homes & Gardens. They used a purchased roast chicken & I had chicken breasts at the house so I change it it up a bit.

Ingredients
1 2-1/4-lb. purchased roasted chicken, chilled
3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 small or 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut in quarters lengthwise
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
Small fresh arugula leaves

Directions
1.Remove string from chicken, if present, and quarter chicken. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken quarters, skin side down, 3 to 4 minutes or until brown. Remove from skillet. Add squash, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to drippings in skillet. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Return chicken to skillet, skin side up. Cook, covered, over medium heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is heated through and squash is tender, adding the tomatoes the last 2 minutes of cooking. Transfer chicken and squash mixture to platter and sprinkle with arugula. Makes 4 servings.


Since I changed basically everything in the directions here goes.

1) Marinate chicken in some type of Italian marinade, for about 4-6 hours. I used Kraft Tuscan Italian dressing.
2) In a 9x13 dish, coat w/olive oil. Heat oven to 350F. Meanwhile, slice your squash & halve your cherry tomatoes.
3) Place chicken in the dish, then top with the squash & add the tomatoes. You can add more marinade at this time. Cover with foil & cook for about 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
4) Sprinkle w/Parmesan cheese & parsley.

Now I rather enjoyed this, the hubs, not so much. But then again it didn't have a carbohydrate in it & was relatively healthy, so no surprise there.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yellow squash and tomatoes are great together! Love the light and healthy meal :)

monica byrne said...

There is a recipe for zucchini gratin in Ina Gartens' Barefoot in Paris cookbook...it does require turning your oven on, but it was soooo good, even my kids at all their servings!!!