Thursday, September 25, 2008

Risotto Attempt #2

Awhile back I decided to try my hand at risotto. It seemed to be all the rage around the foodie blog-o-sphere and I thought I would give it a whirl. I know risotto takes some time, so I set aside a Sunday afternoon to make it. The result was not so stellar. It was soupy & crunchy, a combination I do not like.

As the great grocery store boycott continues, I have to find meal ideas with what I have in the house. What do I find in the back of my pantry? Well a whole container of risotto rice. I thought, ok I will try it again. After my last post I had gotten a few pointers and thought I would be successful. I used Giada's basic recipe, but I cut it in half. I was serving this with salmon and I knew I didn't want any leftovers.

I didn't brown the rice as long as I did last time and this time I added very little broth each time. It turned out much better. Still a little crunchy but from what I have read, that is how risotto is supposed to be. So maybe I just don't like risotto.

Besides the risotto, I had roasted salmon in the oven in a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. Since I had quite a few tomatoes leftover, I roasted those as well.

I used roma tomatoes cut in half, drizzled with olive oil & seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. They roasted for about an hour.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Your meal looks delicious and I'm sorry your risotto attempt wasn't as good as you hoped the second time around. When I make mine, I cook it until the risotto is smooth, creamy and not crunchy at all. I don't believe it should have that consistency... and if it does, it may need to cook longer.

Sarah said...

I agree with Joelen. I bet you just need to cook the risotto a little longer and add more stock or water to it. I always have to add more than I think I should (or than the recipe tells me). I just keep adding it and stirring it until it comes out soft.