Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just call me slacker

Yep that's me! Slacking away here. I recently started telecommuting 2 days a week. You would think this means more time at home to cook & bake right? Not so much. I work more at home than do when I am at work!

I also have been in a rut of cooking/recipes/etc... I just can not find things that excite me anymore. Probably b/c I hate going to the grocery store & spending money. I wish my darn garden would be producing all its goodies but no, its just not ready yet.

I have done some cooking. Mostly not new things but I haven't posted them on here, so they are new to you :)
First up, chicken phillies. Yum! This is so easy, but caramelizing the onions takes awhile.

Ingredients
chicken breasts, sliced thinly
sweet onion, sliced thinly
unsalted butter, about 3 Tbsp
green peppers, about 1 to 1 1/2 sliced thinly
sliced mushrooms
provolone cheese slices
French or Hoagie rolls

In a saute pan, melt the butter. Add onions & cover. Cook for about 30-40 mins on low heat until onions begin to caramelize.
Remove onions from pan, set aside.
Add chicken to pan & saute until cooked through. Remove & set aside
Add a bit more butter to the pan, just enough to coat. Add mushrooms, saute, remove & set aside. Do the same with the peppers.
**I don't cook these all together b/c they take different lengths of time to cook. **
Turn over on to about 450F. Coat a cookie sheet with foil.
Assemble sandwiches, chicken, onions, mushrooms & peppers. Top with provolone cheese. Place sandwich, open-faced in oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

No comments: