Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuscan Bean Soup

When we did finally get back to our house, the temperature had dropped significantly. We left KC with 85 degree weather & came back to about 50 degrees. Soup was in the forecast.

Last year, about this time actually, I posted a Tuscan Bean Soup I had made with a mix from my fave winery, Viansa. The Hubs and I loved this soup. It was hearty and so good for you-full of beans & veggies. Well we cancelled our monthly delivery of wine from Viansa, so I didn't have the prepared mix to make it again. And rather than wait for it to come, I figured I could wing it.

Tuscan Bean Soup
By Jules
1 package of White Bean Provencial Soup (these are dried beans)
6 links Italian Sausage
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 1 /2 cups sliced celery
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato paste
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine
1 can kidney beans, drained
olive oil

1. Coat a large stockpot with olive oil, about 2 Tbsp. Heat over medium high. Add onions, carrots, celery & garlic. Cook until tender.
2. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, bean mixture & spices, & sausage. You can either cut the sausage now or add the links whole & cut them later.
3. Bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer for about 3 1/2 hours. (perfect to do before a football game b/c they usually take 3 hours)
4. Add the paste & the kidney beans & cook for another 45 minutes. By now the beans should be tender. Salt to taste.




When I serve this, I top it with a little grated Parmesan. This made about 8-10 servings, so put some in the freezer for a later date.
This was pretty darn close to what we had last year and so filling. Warms you to the bone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie - my name is Lloyd Davis and I am the President & CEO of Viansa. I was glad to here that you like Viansa and the Tuscan Bean Soup and dissapointed that you are no longer a Tuscan Club member. How come? If there is anything that I can do get get you back, just let me know. You can reach me at Ldavis@viansa.com.

Anonymous said...

This does sound delicious with all those lovely, colourful ingredients. I am going to ask my wife to do it.