Friday, October 3, 2008

Apple Parade Part Two

The second baked goodie I made with the apples didn't quite turn out the way the recipe intended. Let's just say it was supposed to be an apple cake, that turned into apple bars. I'll explain how this happened a little later.

Again, this recipe came from the BHG cookbook. I only had to turn about 20 pages to find it. Destiny I tell you!

Apple Cake/Bars
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground all spice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup veggie oil
2 beaten eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 cups chopped apples (I used 2 1/2 cups of apples)
1 cup chopped pecans (I used 1 cup of raisins)

1) Grease & flour your bundt pan or whatever pan you chose to you. You may very well have to do this on three separate pans if you mess up like I did.
2) Stir together the first 5 ingredients and 1/4 tsp of salt. Set aside.
3) Mix the sugars, oil, eggs & vanilla on speed 2 if you are using a KitchenAid. Add dry mixture, ALL AT ONCE. Don't add it a 1/4 of a cup at a time, like you do for cookies or brownies. If you don't add it all at once, your mixture will become too tough and you will have bars.
4) Fold in apples & pecans or raisins
5) Bake in an oven at 350 for about an hour.

I was told by my husband's team members that the bars were awesome, better than the spiced bars I made last week. I didn't get a chance to try them b/c I was eating the cinnamon rolls. I think they would taste really good if you added some oats to it too.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love all of these apple treats!