Thursday, October 2, 2008

Apple Crisp

A few years ago, I received a cookbook called Nordstrom Friends and Family Cookbook. Everything I have made from this cookbook is phenomenal. I like that it also gives you additional notes, tips, stories.

From this recipe, I learned why some baked apple goods stay crisp & others are mushy. No matter how long you cook an apple pie, if you don't have the right apple, its going to stay crispy. While that is good for some people, my husband likes his apple pie, and other apple goods, nice a mushy. So Nordstrom informed me that Cortland & McIntosh collapse readily creating a soft filling. Golden Delicious and Rome hold their shape & texture for a longer time. Granny Smith falls right in the middle.

As I mentioned before, my mother-in-law gave us a 5 gallon bucket of apples & this was the first thing my husband requested that I make.


Apple Crisp
Topping:
1/2 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch grated nutmeg
7 Tbsp all purpose flour
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup ice cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

5 large apples, peeled, cored & cut into wedges (about 6 cups)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter an 8 or 9 in round or square baking pan.

To make the topping, in a bowl, stir together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour & salt. Add the butter & oats. Using fingers or a pastry blender, work in the butter until the ingredients are well blended but not over mixed.

To assemble the crisp, spread the apples in an even layer & sprinkle with cinnamon. Drizzle the water over the apples & spread the topping over the fruit.

Bake the crisp until the topping is brown & crunchy and the apples are tender, about 25-30 minutes.

2 comments:

Jagged Diary said...

Jules, you make me want to learn how to cook!

Unknown said...

Even though I'm a southerner through and through, I could care less whether sweet or tart apples are used as the filling of a crisp. For me, the topping is the most important part, and this one's a winner.