Friday, February 22, 2008

Cookies did you say??

When I do my daily Google Reader reading, I get very jealous of everyone & their baking. I love to bake, however, I also love to eat what I bake. That combination there is what has put me on a diet. But baking is so relaxing and fun. So I spent a good part of yesterday looking for what I call "diet friendly sweets". In reality, no sweet is deit friendly, but hey I'll try to get as close as I can.
It was a coworker's birthday and I figured what better reason to bake and not keep the temptation at home.
I settled on CL's Cocoa Fudge Cookies. Mostly because I had all the items on hand & at 75 calories a cookie-I figured I could have a few without feeling totally guilty.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour --> I used 1/2 cup of flour & a 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt --> non-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, and salt; set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars (mixture will resemble coarse sand). Add yogurt and vanilla, stirring to combine. Add flour mixture, stirring until moist. Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

These were perfect! The recipe says they would be crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and sure enough they were! I didnt have low fat yogurt at home, only non-fat, so I think thats why they are not as sweet as I expected. I sprinkled them with some powdered sugar to give it some color.

No comments: