Thursday, February 21, 2008

And I Am Back!

The hubs & I went on a long weekend vacation to wine country. So the week of that was spent eating whatever we had in the house and not going to the grocery store. So nothing was blog worthy (grilled chicken & steamed broccoli).
Last night was full on dinner time! It was nice to be back in the kitchen-relaxing and cooking things-I am happy to be cooking again. And since we blew the diet while on vacation, it was time to get strict and stick to our approved foods. I receive a gazillion emails about food related stuff, one that is a weekly recipe from South Beach Diet. Our diet follows a lot of what SB does, so almost all those meals we can eat. So I bookmarked the "Chicken Capri" recipe. Sounded good, a little like breadless chicken parmesan, but I am open.

This was delicious & filling! I served it with a garden salad and we were stuffed. It was fairly simple to make. I love when I can put dinner in the oven and clean up my mess while it cooks. This was also ideal because the hubs was at Home Depot. When he goes to the Depot, you never know when he will get home. I get pretty cranky if I have dinner ready & it sits out for 20 minutes while I wait for him to get home. So this was a win/win night for us.

Chicken Capri
South Beach Diet
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp garlic powder
A little EVOO
1 cup crushed tomatoes
4 slices 2% Mozz Cheese

In food processor, combine the ricotta, oregano, S&P. Pulse to blend.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder. Drizzle the EVOO in large saucepan and bring to med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned. The insides do not have to be done.
Place the chicken in a 9x11 baking dish. Top with ricotta cheese mixture, then tomatoes, then a slice of cheese.

Cook in the oven for about 20 mins or until the chicken is no longer pink.

**My notes- I rarely measure spices, I am fairly certain I used more oregano & garlic.
I only had shredded 2% cheese, not a big deal, I just sprinkled it over the chicken. I didnt have "crushed" tomatoes, so I just drained a can of diced tomatoes & pulsed it a few times in the food processor. I wanted my chicken to remain moist and not dried out. Since I was certain it would be in the oven for longer than 20 minutes, I covered it with foil.

Look at that cheesy goodness!

7 comments:

Julia & Tyler said...

That looks yummy! I'm sure it's WW friendly, I'll figure out the points and give it a try. I love cheese! :)

Justin & Shonna said...

Looks yummy, Jules! Gonna have to try this one!

Tiffany said...

I've made this recipe before. It's very good.

messy lulu said...

Made this last night. So easy and quick! It was perfect for a Low carb meal! I used boneless chicken thighs b/c they have a little more flavor to them. Definitely a new recipe on my rotation! Thanks for sharing!!!

Raine said...

what is EVOO nd where do I find it?

Jody C said...

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil, you will find it at the grocery store

Unknown said...

Extra virgin olive oil