Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cooking Light Beef Stroganoff

The other night hubby and I went out to eat while we were running errands. I love going out to eat and all, but that usually means we spend twice as much money, because then we have to eat out for lunch the next day. Well I decided eating out bad for basically 2 meals in a row was not going to happen to us!

So we had some ribeye leftover from grilling out on the weekend and I accidentally cooked a bunch of egg noodles, thinking they were fusilli (hahaha). I was trying to come up with something to make with these two things & beef stroganoff it was!

I found this recipe on cookinglight.com

Ingredients
1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed
Cooking spray
3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 cups hot cooked egg noodles (8 ounces uncooked)
3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)


Preparation
Cut beef diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-wide strips; cut the strips into 2-inch pieces.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove beef from pan; place in a medium bowl, and keep warm. Add cremini mushrooms and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add cremini mushroom mixture to beef.

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Pre Sour Cream Pic:

Add beef mixture, sherry, salt, and pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 30 seconds. Stir in sour cream.

Post Sour Cream:


Combine noodles and minced parsley. Serve beef mixture over noodles. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.

Sorry no picture here- since this was intended for lunch. I don't normally bring my camera into the office with me.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup beef mixture and 2/3 cup noodles)

**My Notes** I followed this recipe to a T basically , changed the sirloin to ribeye and used button mushrooms, but the flavor was great. I think the addition of the beef broth really brought out the flavor. I will definitely be making this again.

No comments: