Thursday, September 6, 2007

No Pics-but good stuff!

I completely forgot to take pictures of some things I made this weekend. In the midst of painting & finishing the guest bedroom/office & the holiday weekend, I think the camera was MIA.
Anyway, for our family BBQ on Sunday, I made Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole.

Cooking Light "Re-Made" Hash Brown Casserole http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1654693
Ingredients
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (32-ounce) package frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, diced
2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's Healthy Request)
8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
1 (8-ounce) carton light sour cream (such as Daisy)
Cooking spray
2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine first 4 ingredients and 1 tablespoon butter in a large bowl; toss well.

Combine soup and cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Pour cheese mixture over potato mixture, and stir well. Spread mixture evenly in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine cornflakes and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle evenly over top of potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

Yield
12 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 181(30% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 3.8g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 7.1g; CHOLESTEROL 21mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 494mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 1.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.5g

**This was very good, tasted like the real thing, but with much less fat & calories. DH didn't like the onions so next time I make it, I will omit 3/4's of them**

On Monday evening, some girlfriends & I decided we need to have a shin-dig for JT on HBO. He was amazing! Per usual, we made too much food for 4 girls.

I made a goat cheese guacamole per the request of my friend Kari. She had this at a Cleveland restaurant & wanted me to try to make it. I had the ingredients, just no recipe, so I winged it.
4 avocados
1 poblano chile
2 tomatoes
garlic clove (1 or 2)
S&P
At least 4 oz of goat cheese, I used 5.
Cilantro

Roast the poblano chile on 425 for about 25 minutes. Dice poblano chile. Core & pit avocados, mush with poblano chile. Add garlic & goat cheese. Mush together more. Add cilantro & tomatoes, stir. Quick taste & see what needs to be added. I added some S&P until it tasted just right.
This was very good, nice & creamy texture to the guacamole!

No comments: