Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Hand at Thai

I have been meaning to make Pad Thai for quite some time. It sounds so intimidating, but many people have said its really not. I found a very simple recipe on Cooking Light for Pad Thai Shrimp.


Pad Thai Shrimp

Cooking Light 2005
Ingredients
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1/4 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons hot water
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
4 cups snow peas
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
5 lime wedges


Preparation
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
Combine teriyaki sauce, hot water, peanut butter, and Sriracha, stirring with a whisk.

Heat the sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost done. Add teriyaki sauce mixture, and cook for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add pasta and snow peas; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring well. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.

** My Notes** I used rice noodles to make it more like Pad Thai. If you want it hotter, use more of the Sriracha sauce. I was also out of cilantro so I omitted that ingredient. It was good, I haven't had restaurant Pad Thai so I don't have much to compare it to.

No comments: