Friday, September 28, 2007

Couldn't Decide: Smother & Stuffed


I bought some butterfly pork chops at the store a few weeks ago & decided I was going to smother them in a Thyme Sauce. I found a recipe on Cooking Light (of course) but then stumbled upon a few blogs who had stuffed their chops too.

So I asked the hubs, do you want them smothered or stuffed? He said "Well both of course!"

My intention was to stuff them with fontina cheese, but I used it all, I however, did have cream cheese. Since my smothering recipe called for thyme, I just mixed the cream cheese with the thyme & stuffed the pork chop. I seasoned the chop with some S&P as well.While looking for the fontina cheese, the proscuitto jumped right into my hands. What better way to use proscuitto than to wrap around the stuffed pork chop??


After browning the pork chops I placed them in the oven at 325 for about 20-30 mins. Basically until they were no longer pink.

Then I started on the smothering recipe basically from cooking light with a few changes, so I'll just retype it.
Ingredients
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth, divided
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped onion

Mix 1/4 cup of broth with the milk, flour & mustard. Set aside. In a pan sprayed with Olive Oil, saute the onions, when they are golden brown, add remainder of the beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & slowly stir in the flour mixture. Continue to stir & simmer until thickened. Season with S&P for taste.


I served this with some long grain rice by Uncle Ben & steamed broccoli.
Overall results, it was ok. I think the chops could have used more seasonings & so could the smother. Probably garlic would have been nice. Also, I think stuffing with fontina or harvati would have been better. I was trying to go for a gooey goodness & the cream cheese didn't cut it.
But, it did take some nice photos!

No comments: