Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sqaush Bisque

If you follow my blog, you know that every summer my husband & I have a garden. Well last summer we decided to plan one squash & one zucchini plant. And well, they did QUITE well. I have a deep freeze full of squash & zucchini that I couldn't use. The only problem with this is that I can't use them to saute or anything, they are too mushy. They work best in soups or baking, where they can be pureed or intended to be mushy. This creates a bit of a challenge, because when you search for a soup with squash or minestrone, the number one result is Minestrone. I enjoy minestrone, except I have about a gallon of minestrone in my freezer already.

I found this squash bisque on myrecipes.com. I haven't ever made a bisque, but I figured I had nothing to lose but one of the 8 gallon sized bags of squash in my freezer. I surely wouldn't be devastated if it didn't turn out well.

Squash Bisque
Yield
3 quarts

Ingredients
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
3 carrots
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 cups sliced yellow squash
1 quart chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup milk
Garnishes: sour cream, chopped fresh chives
Preparation

Peel and cube potatoes; chop onion and carrots.

Melt butter in a Dutch oven; add onion, and saute until tender. Add potato, carrot, squash, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.

Process vegetable mixture in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; return mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in milk, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook, stirring often, just until soup is thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.


To my surprise, we both really enjoyed this and it was quite filling. I don't know that I would make it again, maybe for a dinner party as it seems quite elegant, but I was very happy with the outcome. It also didn't make 12 servings, which is a huge plus for me!

1 comment: