Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

First off, Happy 2009!! I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season. If you are like me though, you are happy its all over. Not b/c I don't enjoy the holidays, I just don't enjoy the disarray that life is around the holidays.

I am sure everyone is blogging about their new year's resolutions & I am so proud to say that this is one year that I don't have to say "lose weight & work out more". That will all come into play after Baby R is born, right now, I will just stay the course. And by "stay the course", I mean continue to cook healthy delicious meals at home.

I have had this recipe marked for awhile & finally got around to cooking it. It sounds all fancy, but is super easy.

Pollo con Mojo de Ajo
"Translated from Spanish is 'chicken with garlic sauce'"
Ingredients
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
4 lime wedges
Preparation

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

Melt butter in pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute (do not brown). Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until broth mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Serve sauce over chicken; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.


I served this with black beans seasoned with cilantro & a few diced tomatoes. And the stand by Mexican rice recipe.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks delicious and a great looking meal overall!

Nicole McLaughlin said...

I'm so glad i found you!! I love food blogs..and your local! I'm in Spring Hill, KS. I've enjoyed looking thru your recipes and already have found some i want to make!!

Anonymous said...

Julie- this looks awesome! I will so be using this in the next couple of days! I don't know if you remember me, but I'm a friend of Julie Hurleys. She said you were at her new Years party. I would really like to meet up with you sometime..I ahve been following your blog about food for about a year now and I love your site and your photography is amazing! Keep cooking woman and congrats on the baby....how have you been feeling?