Friday, January 16, 2009

Salmon Cakes

I had some salmon fillets in the deep freeze that I needed to use up. I was tired of the same old grilled salmon and really wanted to make something a little different with them.

The original recipe I found was a Cooking Light recipe. I have linked it below, however, I altered it quite a bit. My only complaint is that my cakes didn't stay together all that well. I am chalking that up to the fact that I used fresh salmon as opposed to canned salmon.


Cajun Salmon Cakes with Lemon-Garlic Aioli
Ingredients
Aioli:
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon bottled minced garlic

Cakes:
3 salmon fillets
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons panko
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup panko
1 tablespoon canola oil
Preparation

To prepare aioli, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

To prepare the salmon, spray a large skillet with olive oil (I use my Misto) and heat. Cook salmon until it flakes when you touch it with a fork. Remove from skillet. In a bowl, separate the salmon as best you can.

To prepare cakes, combine salmon and next 5 ingredients (through mustard) in a medium bowl. Divide salmon mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each portion into a (1/2-inch-thick) patty. Dredge patties in 1/2 cup panko.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through. Serve aioli over salmon.

To compliment the meal, I steamed some broccoli & made a pasta creation from my pantry. I had whole wheat rotini, butter, garlic & onions. So I carmelized the onions & garlic, then tossed the cooked pasta with them. I added a little bit of the pasta water to give it a little sauce & I topped it with parmesan cheese. This was super easy & a good way to use up my ingredients in the house. I won't post a picture but really, whole wheat pasta is not very photogenic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Husband is going to love these!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

oooh - what a great variation to the usual crabcake!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing; I'm definitely saving this recipe for later.

ashley said...

yum! i love fresh salmon cakes! i love the cajun seasoning. i need to do that next time!