Thursday, December 20, 2007

Oh the holidays..

One would think that it being the holidays, we bakers/cookers would be in heaven. Lots of parties/events to cook & bake for and all. Well, not so much for me. I have been crazy busy & haven't had time to do a lot of cooking and, most of all baking. The parties I have attended, I have made apps, mostly things I have made before, so no need to blog about them. I have blogged about some of my baking. I went on a cooking frenzy and had so many leftovers, I wasn't allowed to cook anymore. And then came this week.
The Hubs and I didn't have much going on this week. A few nights of baking & cooking seemed to be in order. Until Monday afternoon, when some super flu bug hit us. Not only the hubs & I, but close to 10 other people at a party we attended on Saturday night. YUCK! Thankfully, we have recovered, but last night was the first night we were actually going to attempt a real meal. As in, not Sprite & saltine crackers or ramen soup. I had all the fixens' for jambalya, but I didn't think that was a good idea. Comfort food sounded best. So meatloaf, mashed potatoes with brown gravy & corn it was.

Now I don't think meatloaf takes a pretty picture. I mean, how could it, its ground beef & some form of tomato sauce/paste/ketchup. For example:
My picture:

FoodNetworks Picture:

Courtsey of Paula Deen

Now whose looks more appetizing? I am going to be bias and say mine.

Here is the recipe, we received it from our local wine shop in their monthly newsletter. It is said to be their highest rated & most requested recipe ever sent out. (Cellar & Loft)
Brown Sugar Meatloaf
1/2cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup finely crushed saltine crackers

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10" loaf pan. Press the brown sugar to the bottom of the pan. (You can use more here if you need to cover the pan) Spread ketchup over the sugar.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients thoroughly. Shape into a loaf and place in pan. Bake for about an hour or until juices run clear.

*I added a little Worcester sauce as well, and my meat didn't really make a firm loaf so I just put it in the pan. I also cooked until the meat thermometer read 165.
Very different taste for meatloaf. It had nice crispy bottom from the brown sugar but was also very sweet and made the perfect "recovery" meal for the hubs & I.

2 comments:

Nemmie said...

I'm going with you too - your pic is very much superior to the Food Network one. :)

Hope you are all better now and well rested!!!

Unknown said...

I just found your website and I'm IN LOVE! This is absolutely awesome! I'm officially a stalker. :)