Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Chicken with Sherried Mushrooms

I found this recipe in my Cooking Light Complete cookbook as well. I forgot how much I really enjoy Cooking Light recipes. I my opinion, I haven't been impressed with the past few magazines I have received. They have a lot of baking I try or would like to try, but the meals have been either too over the top or just no interest to me.

Of course the recipe is only available via the Cookbook, so I will need to post it later, but I feel like a blog-slacker so I am going to post the pictures today & update with the recipe later.

I served this with some steamed broccoli & a box of creamy Rice-A-Roni. Yes, I do fake it sometimes. The chicken had wonderful flavor and I was impressed that the mushrooms didn't turn mushy, they kept their shape & texture quite well.

Here is the recipe:
1 (14.5oz) can fat-free low sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 Tbsp chopped parsley

1. Place broth in a small saucepan & bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 7 minutes.
2. Combine flour, salt & pepper. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture. Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat until hot. Add chicken & cook for 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from the pan.
3. Add butter, mushrooms, and shallots to the pan. cook over medium high heat until mushrooms are light browned, stirring constantly. Add sherry; bring to a boil. Add 1 cup reduced broth, cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 7 minutes).
4. Return chicken to the pan; cover & reduce heat; simmer for 12 minutes until chicken is done. Remove chicken to a serving platter or plate, keep warm. Bring sauce to a boil; cook one additional minute. Stir in parsley. Serve mushroom mixture over chicken & top with a little sauce.

No comments: