Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple Muffins!


Yep. Still working on the apples. I finally peeled most of them & froze them. I can't do much more apple around here :) I got this recipe from blogchef. I love the website b/c not only do they have great pictures, they do some step by step on some of the recipes too.

I made this one early morning, when my son decided to wake everyone up at 4am. He fell back asleep. I did not. These were amazing right out of the oven. They had a crisp topping and a melt in your mouth middle. But...
I let them cool & placed them in a Tupperware container. The crisp top turned mushy. They were still delicious, but I was wanting that crisp, crumbly topping. Any suggestions on how to store them?


Apple Muffins
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups chopped apples (about 3 apples)
Cinnamon topping-
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract. Stir in apples and then gradually blend in the flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.

To make cinnamon topping- in a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the tops of the batter in the muffin pan.

Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

No comments: