Monday, November 3, 2008

Thai

I saw this on my friend Stacey's blog while trying to catch up on Google Reader. Stacey is more known for her baked goods than her cooking, but since I have eaten many of those baked goodies, I knew she wouldn't steer me wrong with her cooking.

I love to make new things at home. I am always a little hesitant when making Chinese/Thai at my house. I can never get the sauce to taste just right. But this recipe was wonderful. I didn't have any red peppers, but I did have some green & yellow from our last harvest in the garden to use up. I am sure you could add whatever veggies you'd like.


Thai Chicken with Cashews

Ingredients:

1 bunch scallions
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 ½ tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger (or 1 ½ tsp. dried)
¼ tsp. roasted red pepper flakes
¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 ½ tbsp. soy sauce
1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sugar
½ cup salted roasted whole cashews
cooked white or brown rice for serving

Directions:

Chop scallions, separating white and green parts. Pat chicken dry, then cut into ¾ -inch pieces and toss with salt and pepper. Heat a wok or 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over moderately high heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately. Add oil, swirling to coat, then stir-fry chicken until golden in places and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and scallion whites to wok and stir-fry until peppers are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.

Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar, then stir the mixture into the vegetables in the wok. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cashews, scallion greens and chicken along with any juices accumulated on plate. Serve with rice.
A few side notes. I didn't have any scallions, so I used half a chopped yellow onion. I also decided to use my Srichchahah( I don't know how to spell it) Chile Sauce in place of the red pepper flakes. It made it pretty spicy. I put in about 1/2 tsp. And I used chicken breasts as opposed to chicken thighs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a recipe for Thai chicken wraps - its wonderful. The sauce is easy: a combination of creamy peanut butter and soy sauce (and dang it, I don't recall the proportions, right now).