Monday, March 3, 2008

Hum, what a letdown

So I was super excited for the dinner I had planned for Friday night. Smoked Salmon Pasta-yum!! I love pasta, I miss pasta. But we pretty much only eat it one night a week. I found this recipe and had some smoked salmon at home. I thought this would be a delicious healthy, yet scrumptious dinner. Not so much. It was missing something. Hubs said it had too many peas, but then again he doesn't like peas. I didnt have any tomatoes, as the recipe said to add on diced tomato, but I dont think that would have helped. It lacked the "umph" I was going for. It was bad, I just expected it to be better.


Pappardelle with Smoked Salmon
Courtesy of Cooking Light
Ingredients
1/2 pound uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta) or fettuccine --> I had to get whole wheat and the only option was spaghetti1 teaspoon butter
2 cups chopped Oso or other sweet onion
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup chopped plum tomato --> omitted
1 (10-ounce) package frozen petite green peas, thawed
1 (4-ounce) smoked salmon fillet, skinned and cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Preparation
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Keep warm.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add broth and cheese; cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Add tomato, peas, and salmon; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in dill, salt, and pepper.

Combine pasta and salmon mixture in a large bowl; toss gently.

Like I said, not bad, but not what I was expecting.

No comments: