Thursday, October 18, 2007

Braised Chicken & Mushrooms


In my attempt to use up items in the pantry, I decided to make this Braised Chicken & Mushroom recipe. It was on the back of the Viansa Simmer Sauce we received quite some time ago. You will be seeing the Viansa name in a few posts as I try to use up some of the items we have from their monthly food delivery.

You will need
4 chicken breasts
1 -2 packages of whole mushrooms, cut in half
Viansa Wine Country Caberbet Simmer Sauce

Heat a skillet to medium high & pan sear the chicken. Remove chicken from the pan, add mushrooms & enough olive oil to coat. Once mushrooms have browned, reduce heat to low & add chicken back to pan. Then add simmer sauce. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 15 minutes.

I decided to serve this with some cheesy Orzo. I had 1/2 a package left in the pantry so I thought I would use it up. Yes I know I have made this before, but its a great standby & went wonderfully with this recipe.

You will need:
1/2 package of Orzo
about 2 Tbsp butter
2 cups chicken broth
some cheese: I used a mixture of romano, parmesan & something else...

In a sauce pan, melt butter. add orzo & cook until browned. Add chicken broth & bring to a low simmer. Cover & cook for 15 minutes or until orzo is soft. Remove from heat & stir in desired amount of cheese.

This was great but I would have added a second package of mushrooms, there just wasn't enough for 4 chicken breasts. Also, the actual recipe said to use carrots & shallots. I have had some of Viansa's pasta sauce in the past & it has a very robust flavor so I bypassed adding anything else.

No comments: